Telemarketer frauds are scam gaining popularity in the 21st century because of the increased technological development. It targets the elderly, young and new citizens that are not aware of the fraud. Perpetrators tend to pause a genuine interest of help to the victim, requiring confidential information. In turn they are then motivated by being given the variety of exciting option. Unknowingly victims they can share their secrets by purchasing non existing product.
There are common telemarketer scams and these are evident because with the recent technological development everyone is linking all money avenues with the phones, online transfers or cards. There is also a lot of exchange of private information on social media, gaming site, online banking, shopping site, and general websites/pages unknowingly which make a lot of people vulnerable to telemarketer frauds. This has therefore helped the scammers to easily target their victims without fear.
1. Bank Account Telemarketer Frauds: This is a fraud targeting customers of given banks indicating change and sale of certain promotional products. This could include loans and advance scams that require customers to pay a certain amount of money.
2. Promotion Telemarketer Frauds: Promotions are there to increase sales of a certain product and this has been taken advantage of by giving an accelerated discount to woo the potential customers. It is mostly done when there is a national promotion by any given firm and this therefore is seen as the best time as it cannot be differentiated from a scam.
3. Gaming and Lottery Telemarketer Frauds: This is an arising scam that notifies the players they have won a given betting. Considering the desire and the willingness to win, one is hence found at the center stage of the fraud.
4. Import and Export Telemarketer Frauds: As there is always an import or an export, a customer dealing with it may at times be fraud as perpetrators tend to assign a given cargo pausing for payment through Western Union or MoneyGram.
5. Credit Card/insurance fraud through Identity theft: Here the scam artist calls to sell insurance to the victim posing as a concern insurance agent on credit card fraud. This creates fear on the victim making them purchase the insurance cover.
6. Checks Counterfeiting: happens when the victims receive a counterfeit check in the mail but the telemarketer’s frauds call the victim later to confirm the check making the victim believe the checks are real. The victim is later asked to deposit the check and wire the fund to someone else and before the bank process the check to know that its counterfeit, the money is already gone from the account.
Telephone and mobile users should always be alert from the incoming calls, texts and emails to prevent the spreading telemarketer scam from exploiting them. Despite the measures being put in place, a lot of awareness and support is required to sensitise the people about the possibility of being defrauded using the telephone.